The cornerstone of a Primitive Methodist Chapel was laid at Coghill Creek, near Saddleworth, on 2 October 1861 by Mrs E. Rees of Butcher Gap and opened on 10 November 1861:
When the minister for the circuit, Rev. T. Braithwaite, preached three times... The chapel is 25 feet by 18 feet inside and is amply furnished with seats and neatly plastered and ceiled. It is expected that after the harvest the erection will be quite free from debt.
William Coghill was the licensee of the first hotel in the Saddleworth district standing on section 2083 comprising of fourteen rooms. Appointed postmaster at 'Gilbert River' in 1847, he resigned in 1848 and, in 1850, accepted a similar position at Saddleworth. The Coghill Creek School opened in 1865 and closed in 1873; in 1871, it was conducted by Cristina Smith with 41 pupils.
COGHILL'S CREEK (Co. Light) is a small creek, rising in the main range, and flowing into the Gilbert river at Saddleworth, after watering a tract of good agricultural country.