Chingford

back

Bailliere's South Australian Gazetteer and Road Guide 1866 - Chingford

CHINGFORD (Co. Stanley) is a postal town in the electoral district of Burra and hundred of Saddleworth, the main road running by the town, being under the supervision of the central road board. It is situated on the right bank of the Gilbert river, near it's source, in an agricultural, wheat and hay production district. There are no mines in the neighbourhood, although there are numerous indications of copper and iron. The nearest places are - Auburn, 8 miles distance W. By S.; Mintaro, 8 miles N.W.; Waterloo, 6 milesN.E.; Saddleworth, 6 miles S. by W. With these places there is no communication except by horse or private vehicle. with Adelaide, 78 1/2 miles S., the communication is by Rounsevell's mail coach from Auburn to Kapunda, and thence by rail. Chingford has a post-office. The nearest hotels are at Saddleworth or Waterloo. The surrounding country is undulating with ranges of hills to the E. and W. respectively, and several low hills to the N. The fomation is of ironstone and clay-slate. The population is small and scattered.